Thursday, December 22, 2011

What's for Dinner

It seems like we eat a lot around here. Mum is constantly trying to feed us more and more so that we don't get "cold."

Today, they children arrived so we spent the morning preparing their "snacks." We had to roll out the pieces of dough into balls, then press them into small patties that were then fried.
These women are very strong. I witnessed Ann pull a metal spoon from grease that had been frying for at least 30 minutes.
She didn't panic or make a face or shake her hand because it was burned. She calmly pulled the spoon from the boiling grease and set it on the table. Impressive.


Mum made us a chocolate and banana cake.
Everything is very simple here- no recipe and no measuring.
The cake batter consisted of flour, 3 eggs, baking powder, cocoa, banana flavoring, and a handful of pure sugar. Short and sweet. It was delicious!


I served tea and bread outside today under the bright Kenyan sky. Peter, Mum, my dad and I enjoyed sitting in the sun, surrounded by the Abadare mountains taking tea and apple snacks.




For dinner, we were to have spaghetti noodles- plain, nothing on them or with them.
I told Mum that I could make a tomato sauce but she was not familiar so we walked down to the local stores to get them. There I met Mum's friend Gertrude. A beautiful lady with stunning eyes. We bought bread, tomatoes, carrots, onions, sweeties (candy for the children), sodas, and jam.





When we got home, Mum put an apron on me and I got to work. They loved every bit of it!
I was amazed because they had never had it before and never had heard of tomato sauce. To top it off, we each had a piece of Mum's cake.


1 comment: